For Information Only - Deadlines Have Passed
RFP: Technical Proposals and Concept Notes
Organizations in Feed the Future countries are invited to identify a horticultural problem facing local farmers and the type of expertise they seek in a U.S. graduate student. Organizations that have not already been funded by Trellis will receive priority. Organizations with a staff of 50 or fewer will also receive priority.
- Organizational proposals or applications due: Sept. 15, 2014
- Organizational funding decisions: Nov. 1, 2014
- Funding available to organizations: March 1, 2015
- Projects completed by: Dec. 31, 2015
New in 2014: Two types of Trellis funding are available for organizations to consider. Please read carefully to determine which type of Trellis funding your organization should apply for. This flowchart (.pdf) also provides a basic overview of how the two application and selection processes will work.
For Technical Trellis Proposals, the organization will submit a full project proposal, including intended objectives, activities, gender program and a $2,000 budget for consideration. Successful applicants will be paired with a U.S. graduate student with relevant technical expertise. Directions for Technical Trellis Proposals:
- Request for Technical Trellis Proposals (.pdf) This includes application instructions. Please note that there is not an application form for this track.
- Budget and Activities Template for Technical Trellis Proposals (.xls)
For Project Development Concept Notes, the organization will submit a much briefer concept note detailing the horticultural problem for which they would like U.S. graduate student assistance in developing a full proposal. These full proposals will then be evaluated, and successful proposals will be funded. Project development concept notes are aimed at organizations that want to build their capacity in grant writing and project development. Directions and application materials for Project Development Concept Notes:
- Request for Project Development Concept Notes (.pdf)
- Project Development Concept Note Application Form (.pdf) This application form is required for this track.
- Budget Template for Concept Note (.xls)
Questions about the proposal and application process should be directed to TrellisFund@ucdavis.edu.
Student application process
Graduate students at the Horticulture Innovation Lab's partner institutions are invited to apply to participate in Trellis Fund projects: UC Davis, North Carolina State University, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, and University of Florida. Foreign students enrolled at the participating universities may be eligible to participate in Trellis projects, depending on visa type. Please email TrellisFund@ucdavis.edu with questions.
For additional details of this round's student application process, please see:
- Application directions (PDF) for more details on how to apply
- Project descriptions (PDF) to select your priority projects
Questions about this process can be directed to TrellisFund@ucdavis.edu.