The Innovation Lab for Horticulture Regional Center at Zamorano networks researchers, extension workers and members of the private sector as a repository for horticultural technologies and knowledge. The center provides training programs, facilitates the evaluation and adaption of horticultural technologies, and develops mechanisms for sharing ideas within and across borders.
The center is located at the Panamerican Agricultural School, Zamorano, in Honduras.
The center works with national agriculture research and extension systems such as the Honduran Agricultural Research Foundation (FHIA), agricultural universities throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, non-governmental organizations and the private sector to provide ongoing training for the local horticultural industry. The Regional Center at Zamorano draws on local experts to support the technical and educational needs of producers in the region.
Technologies at the center
The center includes adaptations and demonstrations of horticultural technologies. Some of the technologies that have been set up at the Regional Center at Zamorano:
- Large net houses and macro tunnels
- CoolBot-equipped cool room
- Sorting and washing station for postharvest handling
- Chimney solar dryer
- Hydroponic vegetable production
- Tomato grafting
- Solar-powered pump for irrigation
- Zero-energy cool chamber (ZECC)
- Mega ZECC
The center is also working on a new design for a retractable tunnel that can be opened and closed to more precisely regulate temperature during the hot and humid summers that are so common throughout Central America.
- El CoolBot ofrece una efectiva refrigeración a un bajo costo
- Las perlas de secado para el almacenamiento de semillas de alta calidad
- Las mallas anti-insectos protegen los cultivos para aumentar el rendimiento
- El secado solar añade valor a los excedentes de cultivos
- Bombas solares que incrementan las opciones para los agricultores
- Hortalizas injertadas aumenta el rendimiento
- Cultivo de hortalizas con la agricultura de conservación
The inauguration of this center was held Sept. 28, 2012 (at which time, it was called the "Horticulture CRSP Regional Center of Innovation at Zamorano"). Several distinguished guests attended and delivered remarks, including the Honduran Minister of Agriculture and the Zamorano Rector. View presentations and other event highlights from the inauguration.
More about the Regional Centers
The Horticulture Innovation Lab Regional Center at Zamorano is the second of such centers opened by the Horticulture Innovation Lab. Find out more about the Horticulture Innovation Lab's Regional Centers.
More about the Horticulture Innovation Lab in Central America
Find out more about the Horticulture Innovation Lab's projects in Central America (fact sheet) and about the program's partners throughout Latin America.