When: May 6-9, 2013
Where: Nairobi, Kenya
More than 65 members of the extended Horticulture Innovation Lab team (then called Horticulture CRSP) gathered from five continents for the 2013 annual meeting, May 6-9 in Nairobi, Kenya.
The meeting objectives were:
- Provide an update on changes and goals of USAID and Horticulture Innovation Lab
- Raise awareness of regional horticultural activities and opportunities
- Promote exchange between projects and participants
- Increase awareness of project objectives
- Identify opportunities to increase impact
One important event held in conjunction with the annual meeting was the launch of the Horticulture CRSP Regional Center of Innovation with KARI. Read more about the launch of this new center.
Field tour information:
- Horticulture Crops Development Authority: The group visited private company VegPro's fresh-pack facilities and the government HCDA facilities at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. HCDA also provided provided background in a horticulture subsector brief for participants.
- Kakuzi farms: The group visited this company and its packing facilities for Fuerte and Hass avocados.
Thursday, May 9
Horticulture CRSP launched its Regional Center of Innovation with KARI at the Fresh Produce Exporters Association of Kenya (FPEAK) Practical Training Center in Thika. The event included opening remarks, a series of displays featuring horticultural technologies and talks led by Pauline Mugendi, Stephen Weller and Kent Bradford. Find out more about the center launch event.
Friday, May 10
The International Advisory Board meeting was by invitation-only for board members. Follow-up from the meeting will most likely be delivered directly to board members.