When: May 9 – 11, 2018
Where: Kigali, Rwanda at the Serena Hotel
In 2018, the Horticulture Innovation Lab will hold its annual meeting in Rwanda. The event brings together the program's international team, local horticultural experts, and development practitioners. This year's events will have a theme: "Engaging youth as agricultural entrepreneurs."
The objectives for the annual meeting include:
- Learn about activities and issues in agriculture in Rwanda
- Improve awareness of information products and research results of the Horticulture Innovation Lab network
- Partnership building and networking
REGIONAL HORTICULTURE CONFERENCE
Wednesday, May 9: Regional Horticulture Conference with local participants to share, learn and discuss horticulture in Rwanda and the region.
See the Conference Agenda (PDF) for details. Lunch, snack breaks, and an evening reception with appetizers are also part of the event. Activities during the conference include:
- Opening remarks from USAID/Rwanda and the Rwanda Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources
- Introduction to the Horticulture Innovation Lab
- State of Horticulture in Rwanda
- Panel discussion: Youth in Horticulture
- Panel discussion: Innovation and Technology in Horticulture
- Poster session
- Keynote: Youth in Agriculture
Videos from Horticulture Innovation Lab research teams
Each research team in the Horticulture Innovation Lab network has prepared a 90-second video to share a brief glimpse into the work they have been doing or the people they work with, as part of a 5-minute presentation. Presentations were organized by Feed the Future objectives:
ANNUAL MEETING WORKDAYS
Thursday, May 10 and Friday, May 11: Horticulture Innovation Lab project workdays: These two workdays are invitation-only, for current principal investigators and in-country collaborators. Workdays include a group banquet on May 10 and site visits around Kigali on the afternoon of May 11. See Workdays Agenda (PDF) for full details.
BEFORE THE MEETING: SITE VISITS (INVITATION-ONLY)
The International Advisory Board members and members of the Management Entity team are invited to participate in site visits to northern Rwanda. Participants will need to plan to arrive in Kigali on Sunday, May 6.
Please see Site Visits Agenda (PDF) for more details.
- Monday, May 7: Early morning departure for site visits. Overnight stay.
- Tuesday, May 8: Continued site visits. Return to Kigali.
AFTER THE MEETING: IAB MEETING (INVITATION-ONLY)
The Horticulture Innovation Lab's International Advisory Board members will meet in the days after the annual meeting.
- May 12-13: International Advisory Board meeting (by invitation only)
TRAVEL AND LOGISTICS
To enter Rwanda, you will need a valid passport with at least 6 months' validity remaining. Please contact us (email@example.com) if you need a letter or formal invitation for visa purposes.
As of Jan. 1, 2018, nationals of all countries can receive a 30-day visa upon arrival in Rwanda without prior application, for a fee of $50. You can also obtain a visa before traveling for an extra $30 service fee. For more information, visit: http://rwandaembassy.org/consular/visa-information or https://www.migration.gov.rw/index.php?id=13
The Yellow Fever Vaccination is recommended by the Center for Disease Control, but is not required by the Government of Rwanda. See Yellow Fever instructions from the Rwanda Ministry of Health for more information.
For invited participants, we have reserved blocks of rooms with a group discount rate at the Kigali Serena Hotel.
Principal investigators and your collaborator(s): You are responsible for making your hotel reservations and arranging payment with the hotel directly, before April 15 at the latest.
- Reserve your room: You may make arrangements via Kigali Serena Hotel's online reservation system with the group attendee code "HIL." If you have a question regarding the hotel, contact Vincent Nzigira, VNzigira@serena.co.rw.
- Schedule your shuttle pick-up: Please contact the hotel to request and schedule your shuttle pick-up from the airport in Kigali. It will cost $35 one way per car, for up to 3 passengers. The contact person to schedule your hotel transfer is Schola Semutwa, Reservations Manager, SSemutwa@serena.co.rw or by phone: +250 788184500 or +250 252 597100.
International Advisory Board members: We will make lodging and shuttle reservations for you, based on the travel itinerary you provide us during registration.
Management entity team: We will make lodging and shuttle reservations for you, based on the travel itinerary you provide us during registration.